After a flood, it’s essential to wash water-damaged properties and contents as quickly as possible. Before, water damage restoration contractors had several options available to them if performing water damage restoration. Equipment was limited in its accessibility, variety, efficiency, and effectiveness. It was not just slow but would also result in removing and discarding damaged contents.
Subsequently, of course, it was essential to put in new materials, paint, etc. The result was a lengthy period of disturbance to the occupants and extra expenses for insurance companies. Today, however, the “science of drying” has improved significantly. Thanks to modern equipment, we could fully restore water damaged properties and materials with minimal intrusion.
A number of the latest drying technologies comprise:
- LGR Dehumidifiers — These tools can remove up to 16 gallons of water in the air every day. Older dehumidifiers could reduce the humidity to only 40%, eliminating about 5 gallons of water daily. This disparity represents a huge improvement in efficiency, resulting in quicker drying times — 24 to 48 hours as opposed to four or more days with old equipment.
- Desiccants — In the right setting, recovery professionals can turn to a desiccant dehumidifier. Desiccants discharge a very warm and dry atmosphere (5% relative humidity and 110 degrees F) into humid areas, removing moisture. They utilize silica gel to absorb humidity from the air. Desiccants operate very efficiently, even if the environment is below freezing.
- Intra-wall Drying — Within this procedure, baseboards are eliminated, and small holes have been drilled through walls close to the bottom. This dramatically reduces drying time for the wall, often to less than half what it might take to dry it by other methods. The forced air approach also works for certain forms of insulation, again eliminating the need to remove drywall to gain access. This system is particularly suitable when water damage arises from over the affected room. In many cases, it is the only way to effectively save walls.
- Rescue Mat Systems — Today’s powerful water extraction equipment is far more capable of removing moisture than simple vacuum units, a common practice in times past. Rescue mat systems may extract water out of hardwood flooring efficiently, leaving the underlying mat slightly moist but not wet.
Additional benefits of using advanced drying tools
- Lower costs — Wet carpet, pad, and drywall can frequently be completely restored and don’t require replacement. This leads to lower prices for the reduction, and it enables the occupants to return to their regular lives much sooner with far less disturbance. Additionally, modern technology can prevent the costs associated with older methods, such as turning back and/or removing carpet; eliminating, discarding, and replacing the pad; replacing the new carpeting, or relaying the aged.
- Preventing mold — Thanks to quicker drying, mold and other fungi have less time to grow. This helps alleviate potential health issues, for example, respiratory discomfort and allergies, which fungal contamination can cause. Also, mold can weaken structural materials, such as drywall and timber framing, to the point that they have to be replaced. Using advanced dehumidification systems removes moisture and thus helps prevent mold growth. With minimal, if any moisture present, mold, and mildew either do not start or perish very fast.
- Other benefits of rapidly removing moisture include the prevention of irreversible swelling in porous substances, such as paper and wood; shrinkage in certain cloths, like upholstery and curtains; rust happening on metals such as doorknobs and hinges and damage to electronic equipment that may occur with high levels of humidity.
Professional tragedy restorers have also enhanced
Most importantly in a situation dealing with water damage is the way effective professionals happen to be. PuroClean’s knowledgeable restoration professionals invest in the most recent equipment and have the training and experience to correctly remove moisture. That means your home will go back to its original condition more quickly, minimizing all associated expenses and hassle.
For water damage brought on by storms and flooding, in addition to smoke, fire, and mold remediation solutions, call your local PuroClean Keller office.